President Sanad opened the meeting at
Today is election day!
The agenda for today:
1. Quivia is Thursday get excited!!!!! Come get food!
2. Student faculty hangout- last day of classes come to Zicks and get food
3. MS Walk volunteers- Arnav, Alexis. This will happen on Apr 30 at 9 am
4. Wake West is being put on by the OPCD- Wed 20th from 4-5
Our new officers are:
President: Sajant Anand
Vice President: Arnav Bhandari
Secretary: Makenzie Whitener
Treasurer: Aaron Pavlick
Brian Mendenhall from the OPCD in collaboration with ACM put on a program to build resumes as well as give tips and pointers on how to use Handshake and how to Network effectively as a Computer Science student.
What follows is a short description of topics covered.
The first thing that was discussed was resume work.
- Stay consistent with everything. Bullet point all the way through if you do it at all. Make sure everything is lined up and even. It needs to be clean.
- Put your programming language and language skills at the top. Important things first.
- Quantify. Make sure you are as specific as possible. Quantify money and people in relevant situations . Qualify time.
- Use action verbs to describe your work.
- Add a second page to hold projects or networking or programming experiences.
- Be sensitive to the audience you are presenting to.
Brian then moved on to Handshake
- The three most important tabs to look at are Events, Jobs, Employers.
- If you are a Senior don’t be afraid to take an internship if you can’t find a job. You will be paid and can still look for another job. Keep an open mind though; you never know whether or not you will really enjoy a job.
- Handshake puts you in a short stack of resumes. If you find a job outside of Handshake check and see whether or not the job is listed on Handshake. You will more than likely be able to talk directly to the recruiter if you use the service provided by Wake.
- Other places to look are indeed.com, referenceusa.com.
- Don’t be afraid to use LinkedIn to look for alumni as a networking opportunity. Join Wake Forest University Career Connectors. Join the groups where you expect to land.
Brian handed out a list of action verbs and then challenged everyone to highlight 30 and then check off 15 that mean the most to get things going in your brain. He also gave out a handout with qualities that employers look for. You can put things that happened in high school for leadership as well. Be creative, it shows.
Brian is always available in OPCD to help with any needs you might have!!!
Attendance: 14 students
The meeting began at 5:36 PM.
President Sanad open the meeting with announcements.
Went over who is going to Hack NC. Sajant is sending an email. He promises a great time.
Laser tag in collaboration with math and physics is in the works. More details to follow
Next game night is Nov. 5. in Manchester 336.
Brian Mendenhall came and spoke about three opportunities.
- Career Trek deadline is tomorrow. SF: Uber, google etc. NY:
- Brian talked about personality and work assessments and the services that the OPCD will provide to the Computer Science majors. Mock interviews are held. There are tons of networking opportunities. Talked about building a spiderweb of networking.
- ACM Resume build on Oct. 29. Held downstairs in 241. Will start brief and then open up to more intimate discussions.
- Google Greg Galante. He is a Wake alum who is going to be speaking about Google products, projects, jobs/internships, culture. Will be held in Manchester 241.
Meeting ended at 5:44pm. President Sanad closed.
Attendance of 11.
Old Executive Board:
President – Karim Soliman
Vice President – Brandon Ray
Secretary – Sanad Ashraf
Treasurer – Travis Palmer
Events Manager – Sajant Anand
New Executive Board:
President – Sanad Ashraf
Vice President – Sajant Anand
Secretary – Makenzie Whitener
Treasurer – Arnav Bhandari
Meeting start: 5:16pm
We have Game Night every 2 weeks, so our next meeting will be a GAME NIGHT on February 3rd.
We voted on going to the Trampoline Park as our January event.
Quiz bowl will be later this semester.
Karim is a Microsoft representative on our campus!
Sign up for the National ACM Membership. Only $20!
T-Shirts?! We need designs!!
Speaker? We will have a couple come to Wake.
Meeting end: 5:33pm